- 4 cups (560g) cake flour
- 2 sachets (20g) instant dried yeast
- 1 tsp (5ml) sugar
- 1 tsp (5ml) salt
- 2T (30ml) vegetable oil
- 2 cups (500ml) warm water
- 1T (15ml) chopped fresh rosemary
Sift flour into a large mixing bowl.
- Add yeast, sugar and salt.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture.
- Pour in oil and water.
- Mix to form a dough, adding more water if needed.
- Knead for a minimum of five minute until smooth and elastic. Add Rosemary
- Place in a lightly oiled bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap and leave to rise until doubled in size.
- Punch down dough, add rosemary and place in a well-buttered pot (with lid). Place pot in cooled-down coals.
- Ladle coals over the lid (to ensure a crisp crust) and leave to cook for about 1 ½ hours.
- Test dough with a metal skewer or tap the bread – the loaf should sound hollow.
- Remove the bread from the pot and serve warm.